Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Year in Review Time-Saver


The best way to get the biggest bag for your "time" buck?  A summary page!  (Not to mention that this layout was a great way to use up extra supplies!)

The 12-month year is perfect for this grid.  You can go 3x4 or 4x3 (like above), depending on your embellishments and journaling.  Whatever photo-printing software you use, just ensure that your photos are exactly the same size and neatly trimmed.  When you use this grid, any little shift or error seems magnified.  I used a gridded background (resembling graph paper) to emphasize the effect, as well as to ensure my own photo-placement steadiness.  There is no such thing as "eye-balling" it for me.  (I'll let you in on a little secret -- I suffer from vertigo, so everything I look at is a bit skewed!)  So, just like with carpentry -- measure twice, cut once.  Otherwise you will use up a lot more printer ink and paper than you intended.

I chose a photo from each month that best represented that time.  At times, it was difficult to pick just one.  Some months are more busy than others.  For example, the boys' birthday is in August AND we went on a family vacation.  Should I use a photo from their birthday, one of our hikes, or the cabin we rented?  In this case, I went with a photo from one of our hikes.  It was so summery and bright that it just begged to be used.  Remember too, because you're placing so many photos on one page, don't make the pictures too small.  They should be clear enough to you don't have to guess what the subject is.

I think it's also important to make the title eye-catching.  In this case I used a different type/font for each word.  This grid layout can be used in many different situations:  a vacation in review; a single event (like a birthday); twelve years of schooling, etc.  Sometimes you just can't rely on the pictures doing all the talking for you, especially if your page is meant to be viewed by others.  I emphasized the topic by using the "months of the year" vertical border as well.

For my journaling I kept it simple and simply created a bullet-point list of the months and the main events (even if that event wasn't represented by a photo).  Remember, this layout is supposed to be a time-saver.  You can go back and scrap an event in detail later.  Right now, you're just trying to capture your memories as expeditiously as possible.

So, here's my inspiration for this page.  I took a double-page layout and made a one-pager.  (Note:  I hope I'm doing the right thing here.  I've scanned in the pages I used from a magazine and have given you a copy of the cover page of that issue with a link to their site.  If I am stepping on toes, violating copyrights, whatever, please let me know.  I don't want to offend, steal, or inadequately cite my sources!)


As you can see, I very loosely based my page on this layout.  They don't have much in common, actually, but you can see how just a single idea can create a spark of inspiration!

I hope I've given you that little spark today!







Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment